Beating the August Heat: Prepping the Fall & Winter Greenhouse
August in Alabama is notoriously hot, but if you want a thriving fall and winter harvest, right now is exactly when you need to start getting your hands dirty. Having a greenhouse is a huge advantage for extending the growing season, so I am rolling up my sleeves this weekend to get the fall crop preparation underway.
Here is a look at what is going into the dirt this weekend, what is on the schedule for later this fall, and the long game for spring.
π± What I’m Planting This Weekend
The planting window is perfectly timed right now, so these are the priority seeds going into the setup:
Baby Broccoli: I just picked up these seeds, and they are going straight into the dirt! The window for broccoli closes by mid-August, and it is well-suited for direct seeding into the soil rather than using transplants.
Spinach: The window also closes by mid-August. Because spinach has shallow roots, these seeds are going straight into the vertical stackable planters.
Leaf Lettuce: Perfect for planting anytime in August. These are an excellent fit for the self-watering pots to keep moisture consistent in the lingering heat.
Beans: A solid, reliable choice for late summer and early fall planting to get a nice yield before the real cold sets in.
⏳ Holding Off Just a Bit
A few of my selected crops need just a little more time before they go into the soil:
Kale: The planting window opens up around August 15th, so I will be holding off on these for another week or two.
Radishes: Deep, loose soil is the secret to great root crops. These will go into the raised beds anytime between mid-August and mid-September. They will need to be harvested or heavily mulched before a hard winter freeze hits.
π Fall Garden Chores
Strawberry Relocation: As we move deeper into the fall, I need to transition my existing strawberry plants into the raised garden beds to give them a better permanent home.
πΈ Thinking Ahead to Spring
Even while prepping for fall, you always have to keep an eye on spring!
Hardneck Garlic: The bulbs I picked up earlier this year are currently chilling in the fridge. They will stay safely stored until it is time to plant them next spring.
Asparagus: I am holding off on this for now, but the plan is to purchase 1-year-old crowns to plant right as the ground warms up next year.
Comments
Post a Comment